Campaign

Pence campaign says he has qualified for second GOP debate

Former Vice President Mike Pence has qualified for the second Republican presidential primary debate next month, his campaign announced Friday.

Pence campaign manager Steve Damaura wrote in a memo to donors shared with reporters that Pence had crossed the 50,000 donor threshold necessary for candidates to make the second debate, which is scheduled for Sept. 27 in California.

The former vice president has also been polling at least 3 percent in national polls and in early primary state polls in Iowa and New Hampshire, checking off another box to qualify.

And Pence has submitted a signed pledge to the Republican National Committee (RNC) vowing to support the party’s eventual nominee, his campaign said.

Pence qualified for the first debate, scheduled for Wednesday in Wisconsin, earlier this month. But his campaign believes it is building momentum, as evidenced by it crossing the donor threshold for the second debate.

“We never had any doubt, but I wanted to share the news with you first and directly that we have qualified for the 2nd Republican Presidential debate in September,” Damaura wrote to donors. “While it took other candidates-Haley (21 weeks), Ramaswamy (21 weeks), and Scott (13 weeks)- to qualify for the first debate, we have now made two debates in 11 weeks.”

Pence has seen a boost in media attention and in donations in the past two weeks after he was central to the indictment of former President Trump in Washington over Trump’s efforts to subvert the 2020 election.

The indictment laid out in detail how Pence resisted repeated efforts by Trump and his allies to get Pence to unilaterally overturn the election results. Pence has been adamant that such requests were unconstitutional.

The former vice president has in recent weeks also rolled out policy platforms focused on the economy and on building domestic energy independence.

Tags Mike Pence

thppppppppp